The Ranmoor Society
covering Ranmoor, Hangingwater and Nether Green
War Memorials in Ranmoor
World War One between 1914 and 1918 killed more than 5,500 young men from Sheffield, and people all over the city were keen that their sacrifices should not be forgotten. In Ranmoor, the parishioners of St John’s raised funds to erect a memorial for local men killed in the war and to assist “the necessitous dependants of men who fell”. The memorial we can see outside the church was erected on 28 May 1921. It is 16 feet high, of unpolished Cornish granite.
It lists 58 men in the sequence of their deaths. They are also honoured on a brass tablet inside the church: “To the glory of God and in memory of the men of Ranmoor who gave their lives for honour and freedom in the Great War 1914-1918”.
A second local memorial is sited inside Hallam Methodist Church in Nether Green. This was initially erected in 1921 in the Methodist Chapel in Ranmoor Road, which was demolished after joining with the Nether Green church in 1963. Five names are listed on this memorial.
Many hundred memorials of this kind were erected across the country, with the national Cenotaph constructed (originally temporarily) in London in 1919. Around 200 memorials in Sheffield include the city-wide one in Barker’s Pool, which was dedicated in 1925.
In addition to its stone memorial and internal tablet, St John’s also holds a Roll of Honour in book form. This covers both world wars, with 30 names for World War Two and 60 for the Great War. The latter number is two more than on the stone memorial, because deaths from the war continued in men disabled by their service.
A valuable general account of Sheffield soldiers in the Great War is at http://sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Index.html.
Other relevant websites include:
This page was last updated on 05 November 2011